Thursday, October 17, 2013

Roseate Spoonbill in Old Metairie


Today I had a Roseate Spoonbill in a new location- the narrow drainage canal along Canal Street, which runs diagonally from the I-10 overpass at Oaklawn, southeastward toward the pumping station on the 17th Street Canal, in Old Metairie.  1:30 pm.

This small canal usually has White Ibis, Tricolored Heron, and Snowy Egret in it.

I have also seen or heard of Spoonbills in a few other new locations the last few weeks:  one reported by a visiting birder in City Park just north of I-610 in a pond, and one that I spied last week in Kenner in the West Metairie Ave drainage canal at Indiana (which is near Williams Blvd).

Air is feeling nice outside now!  If the cloud cover continues tonight, it might be a good night to listen for call notes.

Peter
5:14 pm

for a copy of Birding Made Easy- New Orleans, email me at birding.made.easy.new.orleans@gmail.com , or look for it at the Maple Street or Garden District Book Shops.

I will be having a book signing (and leading a bird walk) at Longvue Gardens in Metairie on Saturday October 26.  Come and join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment