Thursday, October 24, 2013

My first vulture feeding in East Jefferson (ever)


Turkey Vultures were scarce far into the city before Katrina.  I rarely saw them in East Jefferson, Lakeview, Mid City, or Gentilly.  

After Katrina, they seem to me to be several fold more frequent in this area, but are almost always in the air.

In the last few years, I have begun to see them perched- on high poles or towers, or on the ground apparently nocturnally roosting.  Probably fewer than a half dozen total.

Today as I was in Metairie taking the "hidden" entrance to the Earhardt Expressway off Airline (across from the country club), one came in swooping low, and picked up an apparent small dead animal (rat?) in its beak as it stood on the ground.  Another approached low, and several crows were drawn in.

This is the first time I have actually seen a Turkey Vulture find food here.   Black Vultures continue to be even rarer this far into the city.

Good birding,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment