Friday, October 25, 2013

Barred Owl in residential yard

This morning in the 6 am darkness, I slid open my rear sliding glass door to let my dog come inside.

In the brief period in which the door was open, a Barred Owl gave its full eight-phrase hooting call from my Live Oak, straight over my head.  This call is often described as who cooks for you, who cooks for you all.

I had a Barred Owl calling several times on and near my yard a few winters ago.   Those are my only other records in my neighborhood, or indeed anywhere in residential New Orleans.

The Barred is the species of owl most commonly encountered in the swamps outside of town, but it does not reside in the city, except for a very few that occupy our few large urban forest fragments (like the Nature Center).

Peter


No comments:

Post a Comment