Friday, April 25, 2014

Mississippi Kites back on territory


Yesterday in the late afternoon I spotted my first Mississippi Kite of the spring- a bird swooping eratically over West Esplanade just west of David Drive, on the Metairie/Kenner line.

This morning as I drove away from my house in Old Jefferson, a pair was perched shoulder to shoulder in a large Water Oak on my street.  Their seemingly simultaneous arrival is is interesting- I wonder if mated pairs migrate across the Gulf together?

Mississippi Kites are among our last tropical migrants to return each spring- arriving typically right about this time.

This does not mean migration is over- indeed, the next seven days are (more or less) the traditional all-around peak of migration in south Louisiana.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment