Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Good numbers of migrants on the UNO campus today (to my surprise)


As I walked onto campus this morning, I was not expecting many migrants to be around- there were south winds last night, which normally stimulates any migrants that have stopped over head out on the next leg of their journey.

In between the Education and Liberal Arts buildings, a group of ornamental Water Oaks was buzzing with warblers:
3 Bay-breasted Warbler
American Redstart
Black-and-White
Black-throated Green
Yellow
Tennessee

This prompted me to have a look at the Fine Arts Woods, where about 35 minutes of effort produced a nice collection:
4 E Kingbirds
3 Eastern Wood-Pewee
1 Gray Catbird
2 Swainson's Thrush

Black-and-White
Tennessee
3 Bay-breasted
2 Magnolia
Yellow

2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Scarlet Tanager
1 Summer Tanager
and I'm sure that more time would have turned up more- even in a tiny area of habitat like that, stuff can escape detection.

On my way out an hour or so later, I noticed a Pewee on the south side of the library, where a few other birds moving in the shade trees seemed to be another Pewee and a Tanager, but I couldn't stop to confirm.

With north winds tonight, hopefully birds will stick around for tomorrow.

Of course, after completely mis-forecasting the number of birds today based on last night's weather, perhaps I should shy away from more prognostication!

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment