Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Spoonbills and waders in West Metairie Ave today


I tallied waders today in my morning commute down West Metairie Ave, with my daughter keeping the numbers:
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Green Heron
1 Tricolored Heron (doubtfully a Little Blue)
1 Cattle Egret
3 Snowy Egret
1 Great Egret
2 Roseate Spoonbill
all on the ground/in the water between the eastbound and westbound lanes, between around Elise and around Cleary (2.1 miles, sayeth Google Earth).  

And I dipped* on White Ibis

Gotta love living in this city!

Peter

*"dipped" is birder slang for missing an expected or anticipated bird species

for a copy of Birding Made Easy- New Orleans, email me at birding.made.easy.new.orleans@gmail.com, or look for it in the Maple Street or Garden District Book Shops.




No comments:

Post a Comment