Sunday, August 25, 2013

Cooper's Hawk gets in on vampire mania

A belated observation:

Last week I was driving through Old Metairie at about 8:30 am, and a raptor swooped across the road in front of me about thirty feet up, engaging in all kinds of erratic maneuvering, looping back and forth as if trying to snatch an evasive bug in the air.

It did not look like one of the Mississippi Kites that have been performing dramatic maneuvers for the last few weeks nabbing cicadas, so I took a closer look.

It was a Cooper's Hawk trying to nab- a bat!  The poor bat was no match for its speed, but seemed to be a challenge to its agility.  I pulled over to try and watch the outcome, but they were both gone- victor unknown.

Peter

for a copy of Birding Made Easy- New Orleans, email me at birding.made.easy.new.orleans@gmail.com, or look for it at the Maple Street or Garden District Book Shops.





No comments:

Post a Comment