Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Some more migrants at UNO


As I walked across campus this morning in the chilly north wind, I stopped for a few moments to swish in the grove of shade trees just south of the library- a spot I do not search for migrants often, since the Fine Arts woods has more to recommend it (namely, understory).

Today I was pleasantly surprised when just seconds of swishing brought a dozen or so Yellowrumps out of a large live oak into a bare bald cypress to fuss at me, and they were accompanied by a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, a male Northern Parula, and a glorious male Prothonotary Warbler.

Figuring that Fine Arts would be even better, I circled by there a few hours later, but in twenty minutes was only able to pull out two migrants:  both gnatcatchers.

Peter


No comments:

Post a Comment