Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Some migrants around: flock at UNO


Today I made what I intended to be a brief stop at the small woodlot beside the Fine Arts building on the UNO campus, which is a spot I regularly check for migrants passing through.

I started out seeing a Northern Parula high in a tallow tree, but then had no more contact with any migrants until ten minutes later.  Then I got a different perspective on (probably the same) tallow crown from another direction, and saw movement.  It was a Blackburnian Warbler.  More movement, a Red-eyed Vireo.  Then a Magnolia.  Then a Redstart. Then another Redstart.  Then a Yellow-throated Vireo.  They were hanging with chickadees.

Birds were moving slowly south, putting them into the sun.  So I walked around the south side of the woodlot to try and get them in better light.  The flock continued easing my direction, and I added a Scarlet Tanager, and then a Summer.  Then the same warblers and vireos I had already spotted began to appear in the trees on the edge in front of me.  Just when I thought I had seen everything there was to see in the flock, a Black-and-White Warbler showed itself.

Walking back around the woodlot's east edge to return to my car, another Scarlet Tanager startled me by sallying out to snag a bug over the lawn, about ten feet over the ground.

Good birding,

Peter

for a copy of Birding Made Easy-New Orleans, mail a check for $24 (includes $4 shipping) made out to Gulf South Environmental Investigations LLC, to
Peter Yaukey
330 Jefferson Heights Ave
Jefferson, LA 70121

or look for it at the Maple Street or Garden District Book Shops.


No comments:

Post a Comment