Thursday, September 19, 2013

First cormorant of the fall, other sightings


Today I saw a Double-crested Cormorant flying down the 17th street canal, at treetop level, headed south across Metairie Road.  My first of the fall.  Numbers will build from now forward; they are common around our drainage canals in winter.  Sometimes in migration they occur in flocks, often passing in (loose) V formation.  I hope to see such a group sometime in the coming weeks as well.

I also made a quick stop at the Bucktown artificial marsh and the adjacent weedy area.  I spooked a Blue Grosbeak along the mowed trail, an adult male in blue plumage (males of this species do not molt into brown fall colors like male Indigo Buntings do).   I also did some "spishing" and pulled in a couple Common Yellowthroats, both young males with hazy black masks.  Not many birds there, but the habitat still looks enticing!

Good birding,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment