Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Screech-Ambulance duet

Yesterday morning I stepped from my house in the morning twilight and heard what I first took to be distant sirens in two directions- one to the east, and one to the west of me.

After several seconds, I realized that the one to the west was actually not a distant siren, but a close screech owl- in my back yard.  Its whinny call was remarkably similar to the siren (ambulance, apparently) in pitch and length; it was making the usual trembling notes but was just far enough away and obscured enough by ambient noise to blend them into a more continuous sound.  It was following the same cadence, matching it one for one.

This is probably the same screech that wigged me out earlier in the month by calling at the exact moment that I mused to myself, "It's been a long time since I heard a screech owl around here."

Just what I need, a mischievous owl.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment