Friday, September 4, 2015

Creepy avian spectacle at Walmart

Yesterday evening I was walking out of Walmart in Harahan around 10 pm, and encountered a black night sky filled with ghostly white specters.  They were coming from the direction of the Elmwood Shopping Center, in groups.  I counted by fives, then tens, then fifties- reaching 3500 in the space of several minutes.  They advanced silently overhead and wheeled to land on the roof, more constantly emerging from the darkness to replace those that settled. 

They were, of course, the Laughing Gulls that roost atop buildings in the Elmwood area every July through October.  They shift from building to building; I often see a bunch flocked atop the Intralox roof (behind Walmart) from the Huey P bridge as I am ascending it in the early morning headed for the West Bank.

I think the Haunted New Orleans tours need to add a Harahan stop.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment