Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Yellow-billed Cuckoo wandering through Old Jefferson


This morning as I was fiddling with my keys at my front door, I heard the characteristic haunting monotone call of a Yellow-billed Cuckoo in my neighbor's yard, seemingly coming from his live oak:

oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo

I stopped to hear it again to make sure it wasn't something else, and it repeated about six more series of notes over the course of a few minutes.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo's don't nest anywhere in my hood, although they are scattered around the city in places will lots of mature trees or in woodlot fragments such as Couturie in City Park.  So it didn't necessarily have to wander far to get here.  I'm not even sure they didn't nest in the batture 3 blocks away.

Just another example of the late summer wanderings of the local nesting avifauna.  This past week Prothonotary and Black-and-White Warblers were reported in City Park (Couturie)- other species that nest in Louisiana, but had to wander a bit to get to where they were found.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment