Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Caught up with the Iceland Gull this afternoon

This afternoon at 4 pm, I stopped by the east end of Lakeshore Drive in Mandeville, to look for the stray Iceland Gull that has now been there for some time.

There were hundreds of loafing birds on the breakwaters near the mouth of Bayou Castine, some close, some requiring a spotting scope for good views.   They were mainly Forster's Terns, but there were good numbers of Laughing and Ring-billed Gulls, lesser numbers of Royal Terns, and a handful of Brown Pelicans.

After ten minutes of scanning without seeing the Iceland, I was about to throw in the towel, when I noticed a lone bird sitting on a post near the shoreline, a few hundred yards west, well away from the main throngs.  I swung the scope onto it and- sure enough- it was the Iceland.

It then allowed us (I was with my daughter and a friend) to drive up and look from closer range.

Good birding,

Peter

for a copy

No comments:

Post a Comment