Saturday, July 13, 2013

West Bank tern colony abandoned


Today I visited a tern colony site from last year on the rooftop of an abandoned Schwegmann's below the high rise bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway on General DeGaulle.

There were no birds present.  I first listened and watched from ground level, and then my friend (thanks Tom!) drove me over the bridge so I could scan down on  the roof with binoculars.  Nada.

This colony was thriving last year, with both of our rooftop nesting terns- Least and Gull-billed.  There is no telling where they may have moved to- hopefully they found another roof somewhere nearby.  Roof top tern colonies do shift locations from time to time.

Peter

for a copy of Birding Made Easy-New Orleans, email me at birding.made.easy.new.orleans@gmail.com, or look for it at the Maple Street or Garden District Book Shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment