Thursday, May 9, 2024

Birding Made Easy is back (oh, and a Barred Owl)

 

Hello Everyone!

It has been several years since I posted on this blog.  And since I sold my last copy of Birding Made Easy.

I am happy to announce that I have updated Birding Made Easy!  The 2024 edition is available at Octavia Bookstore in New Orleans, and from this blog directly (or by connecting with me in person).  The price is now $27 (the Paypal interface still has the old $24 price, I haven't had time to update it yet, so I ask you to please manually enter the new amount).

I have thoroughly worked over the previous edition of the book, and made a substantial number of changes to make it current.

I am now leading walks every second Saturday of the month at the Sankofa Wetland Park on Florida Avenue, the next one two days from now.  We meet at 9:00am.  I lead walks for the Orleans Audubon Society as well, and you can find those listed at Events – Orleans Audubon Society (jjaudubon.net).  I have also been teaching birding courses for Orleans Audubon, which will be listed there as well.

Now some actual bird content!  I had the delightful experience of seeing two Barred Owls together in the Mississippi River batture in Harahan today.  The photo below was taken while I was standing on the mowed grass of the levee, peering into the batture woods.  The owl had flown up off the edge as I was walking past, evidently hunting something on the grass edge.  

Barred Owls are numerous in the wooded swamps outside the city, but don't penetrate far into the urban matrix.  They are particularly scarce within the urban environment now, in the nesting season.  The batture is one corridor where they can be found, normally as far into the city as Old Jefferson.  I have also heard of a few nesting season locations away from the River, in River Ridge and Harahan, which of course are areas where the residential lots are pretty well wooded.  Barred Owls are more active by day than any of our other owls, so it was not particularly surprising to see these birds active at 8:00am.

Peter





  






No comments:

Post a Comment