Friday, February 7, 2020

Update on Whistler Horde at Ninemile Point


Today around noon ,I took a walk down the Mississippi River levee for the length of the Black-bellied Whistling-Duck aggregation at the Ninemile Point grain elevator on the West Bank, as I did last March.  Today I estimated the Squealer horde to number 18,000 individuals, and there may have been others hidden from view.  This is up from 15,000 last March.

They were accompanied by 4,000 Lesser Scaup, among which  I was able to pick out two drake Redheads. But, I was sans scope, so unable to pick out any Greater Scaup (though I tried).  Actually, the cacophonous Whistlers lulled my senses and had an odd sedating effect, causing me to perhaps not be as diligent in searching out oddities mixed into the duck flocks as I usually would

Also in the area was a nice collection of raptors:  7 Red-tailed and 3 Red-shouldered Hawks, and two young Bald Eagles.

The picks below show two sections of the Whistler horde.

Peter



4 comments:

  1. Why are they there and what do these guys eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any locals want to take a NM guy birding NOLA tomorrow morn? I'll buy lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen bald eagles twice recently. The first was on Leake Ave. at Broadway. The eagle swooped down to the levee and caught what I assumed was a rat. In February, I saw an eagle circling above my street in River Ridge. So majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Peter, I would have been mesmerized! That is a fantastic find. It's such a rarity to see them altogether. I just read that they do not migrate, so they must be socially visiting! Thanks for the pictures. It makes me want to go to NO to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete